Get help to sell your products and services overseas. Guidance for UK companies involved in the defence and security sector.
The guide will help you prepare your company for exporting. It will help you decide whether you have:
- compliant, competitive and exportable products or services
- the financial and human resources necessary to start exporting
Department for International Trade UK Defence and Security Exports (UK DSE) cannot make any commercial decisions for you, but can guide you.
UK DSE event and exhibition support
UK DSE provides UK companies with support at defence and security events and exhibitions, such as:
- exhibition support
- meet the buyer opportunities
- Defence and Security Industry Days (DSID)
UK DSE Export Support Team (EST)
The EST is a specialised unit of serving military personnel who have a wide variety of knowledge and operational experience that can provide expert support to the UK defence and security industry.
company visits such as on-site visits or invitations to EST headquarters in Larkhill to discuss how UK DSE and the EST can support you in export opportunities and campaigns
impartial military advice during a company visit when the team can offer advice on products and capabilities to enhance and exploit opportunities in overseas defence and security markets
professional support to maximise the impact of your promotional material including video and photo shoots to make it look as professional and eye-catching as possible
demonstrations and presentations to delegates, overseas visitors or foreign military personnel on your behalf, including use of the EST bespoke hangar that can be set up as an exhibition area
support at exhibitions both in the UK or abroad, providing you with the opportunity to display your products on the UK DSE stand or having someone available with a stand at your own location
after sales training supporting your after sales training offer which can include assistance in producing training packages and delivering training
the opportunity to host foreign delegations who are seeking possible defence and security solutions from UK industry
For more information on EST services and related costs, call 01980 845361 or email TRADE-EST-IHUBMAILBOX@mod.gov.uk.
UK DSE has a dedicated senior press officer who acts as a spokesperson for the defence and security sectors. They are available to offer media advice and support for:
- launch of equipment
- engaging international, national and specialist media at UK and overseas exhibitions
- support for overseas campaigns
Support and engagement can be offered onsite or remotely, depending upon availability and circumstances. They can be contacted on 020 7215 8467.
UK DSE helps cyber security companies do more business internationally.
See our cyber security export strategy.
Wider DIT services
Department for International Trade (DIT) staff provide expert trade advice and practical support to UK-based companies who want to grow their business overseas, through a range of services.
Department for International Trade (DIT) provides free international export sales leads from its worldwide network. Search for export opportunities.
Overseas government defence procurement websites are also a good source of new opportunities:
- Australian Government tenders
- Canadian Government tenders
- Czech Republic White Paper
- European Defence Agency (EDA) is a listing of European contract opportunities
- TED (Tenders Electronic Daily) the Official Journal, tendering opportunities provided by Europa.eu
- Ge-biz – Singaporean government tenders, you will have to register to join
- Indian Ministry of Defence
- Indian Ministry of Defence Research & Development Organisation
- Republic of Ireland Tenders
- NATO Support Agency
- The Netherlands MOD Contracts
- New Zealand Government Tenders
- United Nations Procurement Division
- USA Contract opportunities
- USA Department of Defense
For more information about selling to NATO see Navigating NATO Procurement.
You may need some form of credit guarantee or insurance to protect you against non-payment or other financial issues in certain markets.
To find out what government-backed finance advice and support is available to you and your business, see finance and support for your business.
Trade associations and regional trade groups
Providing help and information in your specific business area:
- ADS representing UK aerospace, defence and security
- BSIA - British Security Industry Association
- BSIF - British Safety Industry Federation
- Society of Maritime Industries
- FIA - Fire Industry Association
- TechUK - representing IT and software businesses
- NDI UK
- WEAF West of England Aerospace Forum
- NWAA - Northwest Aerospace Alliance
- MAA - Midlands Aerospace Alliance
- FAC Farnborough Aerospace Consortium
- Aerospace Wales
Other trade associations can be found on the Trade Association Forum.
Please note that UK DSE cannot recommend or endorse membership of any particular organisation. There may be a membership fee or other associated costs when engaging them.
Restrictions and regulations
You need to know if you need a licence to export your goods or services, and if you are able to promote them overseas (MOD form 680).
Find out what restrictions and regulations apply to export defence and security goods and services.
The following guides will help you identify potential risks:
- crime and fraud prevention for businesses in international trade
- protect your intellectual property
- Overseas Business Risk
- Anti-bribery video and guide by the City of London Police, Overseas Anti Corruption Unit
Selling to UK Armed Forces and working with the MoD
If you are looking to sell your goods and services to the UK Armed Forces, you will find further help and guidance at Selling to UK MOD.
For advice about developing your new ideas, technologies and capabilities for the UK defence market see the Defence and Security Accelerator.
Contact UK DSE
UK DSE has a dedicated SME Support Team to help and advise UK SMEs.
If you are contacting us for the first time fill in our short contact form.
UK SMEs that have already engaged with UK DSE should email email@example.com.