- Department for International Trade Defence & Security Organisation
- Part of:
- Exports and inward investment
- 13 November 2014
- Last updated:
- 26 July 2016, see all updates
Get help to sell your products and services overseas. Guidance for UK companies involved in the defence and security sector.
The guide will help you prepare your company for exporting. It will help you decide whether you have:
- compliant, competitive and exportable products or services
- the financial and human resources necessary to start exporting
Department for International Trade Defence and Security Organisation (DIT DSO) cannot make any commercial decisions for you, but can guide you.
DIT DSO event and exhibition support
DIT DSO provides UK companies with support at defence and security events and exhibitions, such as:
- exhibition support
- meet the buyer opportunities
- Defence and Security Industry Days (DSID)
DIT DSO Export Support Team (EST)
The EST is a specialised unit of serving military personnel who have a wide variety of knowledge and operational experience that can provide expert support to the UK defence and security industry.
company visits - on site visits or invitation to EST headquarters in Salisbury to discuss how DIT DSO and the EST can support you in export opportunities and campaigns
impartial military advice - during a company visit the team can offer advice on products and capabilities to enhance and exploit opportunities in overseas defence and security markets
promotional assistance including video and photo shoots – EST’s professional support can help you maximise the impact of your promotional material, making it look as professional and eye-catching as possible
demonstrations and presentations - to delegates, overseas visitors or foreign military personnel on your behalf, including use of the EST bespoke hangar that can be set up as an exhibition area
support at exhibitions - both in the UK or abroad, providing you with the opportunity to display your products on the DIT DSO stand or having a ‘Man on Stand’ at your own location
after sales training - support with your after sales training offer which can include assistance in producing training packages and delivering training
hosting delegations - with DIT DSO, the team offers the opportunity to host foreign delegations who are seeking possible defence and security solutions from UK industry
For further information on any of the EST services and associated costs please ring 01980 845361 or email UKTIEST-IHubMailbox@mod.uk.
DIT DSO market research
DIT DSO provides basic country briefings, and has a range of more detailed reports ready to buy.
Detailed chargable country briefings contain:
- a synopsis of the defence and security sectors
- a full political, economic, social, technological, legal and economic analysis
- defence and security competitor analysis
- defence and security trade statistics
Prices for existing reports start at £420 (+VAT). Contact the team to find out which guides are currently available.
If you need specific information tailored to your company’s needs the DIT DSO market analysis team can provide analysis and briefings from scratch. Prices start at £630 (+VAT) and depend on the size and scope of the request.
To find out about availability and pricing of detailed reports, or to discuss and commission a custom report, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or ring +44 (0)20 7215 8209.
DIT DSO has a dedicated senior press officer who acts as a spokesman for the defence and security sectors. He is available to offer media advice and support for:
- launch of equipment
- engagement with international, national and specialist media at UK and overseas exhibitions
- support for overseas campaigns
Support and engagement can be offered onsite or remotely, depending upon availability and circumstances. He can be contacted on 020 7215 8467.
DIT DSO helps cyber security companies do more business internationally, see cyber security: export help.
Wider DIT services
Department for International Trade (DIT) staff provide expert trade advice and practical support to UK-based companies who want to grow their business overseas, through a range of services.
Department for International Trade (DIT) provides free international export sales leads from its worldwide network. Search for export opportunities.
Overseas government defence procurement websites are also a good source of new opportunities:
- Australian Government tenders
- Canadian Government tenders
- Czech Republic White Paper
- European Defence Agency (EDA) is a listing of European contract opportunities
- TED (Tenders Electronic Daily) the Official Journal, tendering opportunities provided by Europa.eu
- Ge-biz – Singaporean government tenders, you will have to register to join
- Indian Ministry of Defence
- Indian Ministry of Defence Research & Development Organisation
- Republic of Ireland Tenders
- NATO Support Agency
- The Netherlands MOD Contracts
- New Zealand Government Tenders
- United Nations Procurement Division
- USA Federal Business Opportunities
- USA Department of Defense
- USA Defense Acquisition, Technology and Logistics Policy
For more information about selling to NATO see Navigating NATO Procurement.
You may need some form of credit guarantee or insurance to protect you against non-payment or other financial issues in certain markets.
To find out what government-backed finance advice and support is available to you and your business, see finance and support for your business.
Trade associations and regional trade groups
Providing help and information in your specific business area:
- ADS representing UK aerospace, defence and security
- BSIA - British Security Industry Association
- BSIF - British Safety Industry Federation
- Society of Maritime Industries
- FIA - Fire Industry Association
- FIRESA - Fire and Rescue Suppliers Association
- TechUK - representing IT and software businesses
- NDI UK
- WEAF West of England Aerospace Forum
- NWAA - Northwest Aerospace Alliance
- MAA - Midlands Aerospace Alliance
- FAC Farnborough Aerospace Consortium
- Aerospace Wales
Other trade associations can be found on the Trade Association Forum.
Please note that DIT DSO cannot recommend or endorse membership of any particular organisation. There may be a membership fee or other associated costs when engaging with them.
Restrictions and regulations
You need to know if you need a license to export your goods or services, and if you are able to promote them overseas (MOD form 680).
Find out what restrictions and regulations apply to exporting defence and security goods and services.
The following guides will help you identify potential risks:
- crime and fraud prevention for businesses in international trade
- protect your intellectual property
- Overseas Business Risk
- Anti-bribery video and guide by the City of London Police, Overseas Anti Corruption Unit
Selling to UK Armed Forces/Working with the MoD
If you are looking to sell your goods and services to the UK Armed Forces you will find further help and guidance at Selling to UK MOD.
For advice about developing your new ideas, technologies and capabilities for the UK defence market see the UK MOD Centre for Defence Enterprise.
Contact DIT DSO
For UK SMEs DIT DSO has a dedicated Small Business Unit (SBU) to help and advise you further. Contact the DIT DSO SBU at email@example.com.
Published: 13 November 2014
Updated: 26 July 2016
- Added link to Navigating NATO Procurement
- Added section on UKTI DSO Export Suport Team.
- Added section on media support
- Added link to cyber security page
- Updated page - added link to the British Safety Industry Federation
- Added link to UKEF case study
- Added link to UKTI DSO case studies.
- First published.