Dart Charge: local resident discount
Residents in the Dartford or Thurrock council area can apply for a discount on the Dart Charge - the charge for the Dartford Crossing.
You can choose from two options.
Option A: occasional travellers
A £10 annual fee entitles you to 50 crossings. Once you have used these, further crossings are charged at just 20p per crossing as long as your account is in credit. If your account is not in credit you will be charged at the normal rate.
Option B: regular travellers
A £20 annual fee entitles you to unlimited crossings.
Apply for the discount
You can apply for a local resident account at any time:
You will need to provide:
- proof of residence within the Dartford or Thurrock council boundaries
- proof of vehicle ownership/use
If you apply online you will be able to upload your proofs. The system will create a normal account for you straight away. We will apply your local resident discount once we have checked your proofs.
Each resident may nominate one private vehicle only. All documents used as proof must show the application address.
Proof of residence
You must provide two proofs of residence. Provide clear A4 copies - do not send the original documents.
Two of the following documents with the same name and address as the account holder:
- a bank or credit card statement no more than 3 months old in the name of the account holder.
- a utility bill (i.e. gas, electricity or water but not a mobile phone bill) no more than 3 months’ old
- an income support book or housing association rent document
- Driving licence
- a Council Tax bill under the application address, no more than 3 months’ old.
Proof of vehicle ownership
Provide clear A4 copies - do not send the original documents.
A copy of the V5C registration certificate for the vehicle in the name of the account holder. If the vehicle is a company or hire vehicle we will need one of the following:
- a letter from the company confirming your address, that the vehicle is for your use only and that it is normally kept at the advised address.
- a copy of the vehicle lease document showing that the vehicle has been leased in your name.
For a light goods vehicle (LGV) to qualify it must be privately registered or leased to an individual.