Public Health England (PHE) maintains 4 collections of expertly preserved, authenticated cell lines and microbial strains of known provenance for use in medical science and laboratory healthcare.
All the collections are developed, managed and maintained by highly trained staff who work in accordance with internationally recognised quality standards including certification to ISO 9001:2008.
Cultures from the collections are used by scientists who need to reassure themselves and others that the materials they’re using are authentic, so the conclusions to their studies are valid and relevant.
The 4 collections are:
- the european collection of cell cultures (ECACC) for cell lines
- the national collection of type cultures (NCTC) for bacteria
- the national collection of pathogenic viruses (NCPV) for viruses
- the national collection of pathogenic fungi (NCPF) for fungi
The culture collections offer the following range of products:
- bacteria and mycoplasmas
- cell Lines and hybridomas
- LENTICULE discs
The culture collections offer the following services:
- cell culture management services
- contract cell culture
- assay ready cells
- cell line identity verification
- DNA extraction
- genetic support services
- contract freeze-drying
- mycoplasma testing
- NCPV contract services
- catalogue deposits
- patent deposits
- safe deposits
- sterility testing
For more information on the products and services available, visit the culture collections website.
Public Health England
Microbiology Services, Porton Down
Telephone +44 (0)1980 612 512
Fax +44 (0)1980 611 315