Close your MOT centre

How to close an MOT centre, including telling the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA), what details you need to provide and what happens next.

Applies to England, Scotland and Wales

To close an MOT centre you must either be:

  • the sole trader
  • a partner in a partnership with permission to make the request
  • the limited company director (sometimes called an authorised examiner principal or ‘AEP’)
  • someone authorised to act on behalf of the company

Tell DVSA you are closing

Email DVSA to say that you are giving up (surrendering) your authorisation and closing your MOT centre.

MOT administration team

In the email you must include the:

  • trading name
  • intended closing date
  • MOT centre number (sometimes called a vehicle testing station number or VTS number)
  • authorised examiner (AE) number

What happens next

Once the centre has closed, DVSA will refund any unused MOT slots and remove any roles assigned to this centre from the MOT testing service.

Dispose of your certificate of authorisation (VT9) securely. Do not send this back to DVSA.

If you want to reopen the centre

When your MOT centre has been closed it’s classed as ‘surrended’ for a year. This means you can more easily reopen the centre within a year if:

  • you still have the right to use it
  • the building has not changed

After a year, you need to open it as a new MOT centre.

Fill in the MOT centre application form to ask for it to be reopened in either case.

Published 19 September 2019