Children looked after return: guide to submitting data
How local authorities should collect and submit data for the annual children looked after return (also known as SSDA903).
The children looked after return is an annual statutory data collection for all local authorities. You must complete statutory censuses by law unless there’s a good reason not to.
The data covers the financial year (1 April to 31 March). It records details of:
- every child your local authority looks after at any time during the year
- all young people who are eligible for care leaver support and whose 17th, 18th, 19th, 20th or 21st birthday falls within the collection period
- information on the health of children who have been looked after continuously for 12 months
- information on adoptions of looked-after children
Under the Children Act 1989, a child is legally defined as ‘looked after’ by a local authority if he or she:
- gets accommodation from the local authority for a continuous period of more than 24 hours
- is subject to a care order (to put the child into the care of the local authority)
- is subject to a placement order (to put the child up for adoption)
2016 to 2017 return
- return opens: Monday 3 April 2017
- submission deadline: Wednesday 31 May 2017
2017 to 2018 return
- return opens: Monday 2 April 2018
- submission deadline: Thursday 31 May 2018
Submit your data
You should submit your 2016 to 2017 data in XML or CSV format using the ‘CLA 2017 application’. We’ll publish the application before the return opens and notify all users.
See the guide for local authorities for more information on preparing the data.
The following documents will help local authorities complete the children looked after return:
2016 to 2017 return
If you’re looking for guides from past children looked after returns, visit the ‘Children looked after return: closed collections’ page.
Do you need help?
For complex questions, or if you want to request a username and password for the CLA 2017 application, please use the service request form. We aim to answer your question within 5 working days.
Please use the feedback form if you have any comments about our data collection service, including the CLA 2017 system and the helpdesk service.
Published: 25 March 2014
Updated: 21 November 2016
- Corrected dates for 2016 to 2017 submissions. Added dates for 2017 to 2018 submissions. Removed documents relating to 2015 to 2016 return.
- Added a link to the 'Children looked after return 2014 to 2015: validation rules'.
- Updated to show that the care-leaver data includes 17- and 18-year-olds.
- Added links to the technical specification and XML schema for the 2015 to 2016 return. Also added the dates, technical specification and guide for local authorities for the 2016 to 2017 return.
- Added 'Children looked after return 2014 to 2015: validation rules' link.
- Added link to 'Children looked after return 2015 to 2016: guide'.
- Added 2015 to 2016 return documents info.
- Added important dates for the 2014 to 2015 return.
- First published.