Child death data collection: guide to submitting data
How local safeguarding children boards (LSCBs) should gather information to complete the annual child death data collection.
The child death data collection is a statutory collection that all local safeguarding children boards (LSCBs) must complete by law each May.
You must report all child death reviews that occurred in your region during the last financial year (1 April to 31 March) and record details of:
- all completed child death cases that your local child death overview panel (CDOP) has signed off
- all ongoing CDOP reviews
- all serious case reviews associated with completed CDOP reviews
- notifications of deaths of children normally resident in your region, but who died in another LSCB area
You shouldn’t record still births and abortions in this collection.
LSCBs are responsible for improving the overall wellbeing of children in their local-authority area. They include representatives from children’s services, police, district councils and NHS trusts.
Deadlines for the 2016 collection:
- collection opens: Friday 1 April 2016
- deadline for submitting data: Friday 13 May 2016
Submit your data
Fill in the LSCB1 return forms with the data you’ve collected from your CDOPs.
You should then email back these forms to the Children’s Services Analysis and Research (CSAR) Programme Office at the Department for Education. Make sure you use a secure email network (eg .GSi) when you email the forms.
We’ve emailed details of the secure transfer process to all LSCBs. If you’ve not received this, please contact the CSAR Programme Office.
These documents will help you complete the collection:
CDOPs may wish to use these templates for reporting child deaths.
Do you need help?
Contact the CSAR Programme Office if you have any questions about submitting your data.
CSAR Programme Office
Telephone: Daniel Brown 0114 274 2599
Published: 25 March 2014
Updated: 3 May 2016
- Clarified the process LSCBs need to follow to submit their data and updated contact details.
- Added 2016 LSBC1 guide and forms and updated collection dates.
- Updated with the deadline for 2015.
- First published.