Tell HMRC about errors in your VAT Return

Find out if you need to update your VAT Return, make the correction online or use the VAT652 form to notify HMRC about errors.

Before you start

To check how to tell HMRC about errors in your VAT return you will need the:

  • net value of your error
  • total value of your sales

How to report errors

Check if you need to tell us about errors that you’ve made on previous VAT Returns by either:

  • updating your VAT Return
  • making the correction online
  • using the VAT652 form

Start now

Get more information

Get more information about correcting errors made on your VAT return.

Published 16 June 2023