How to buy goods, works or services for your school.
Following these guides will help schools to:
- get value for money
- comply with EU procurement law
Try our Find a DfE approved framework tool to buy what you need.
Buying for schools contains advice on the types of goods and services schools regularly buy, such as catering and ICT hardware.
- Before you start How to prepare and research before buying things for your school to help you get the best deal and save money.
- Find the right way to buy When to buy from a framework agreement, when to get bids or quotes and when to run an EU compliant buying process.
- Writing a specification How to write a specification – the document you give to suppliers explaining what you want to buy.
- Select a supplier direct from a framework agreement How schools can buy from a framework agreement where they’re allowed to select the supplier directly.
- Run a mini-competition How schools can buy from a framework agreement where all suppliers can bid.
- Buying low to medium cost things How schools can buy low or medium value things by researching suppliers and getting at least 3 quotes.
- Buying high-value things under the EU procurement threshold How schools can buy high value things, including how to advertise a contract and run a procurement process.
- Buying things that are over the EU procurement threshold How schools can buy high value things and comply with EU procurement rules, including advertising a contract and running a buying process.
- Writing contracts and managing a contract What should be in a school's contract with their supplier, and how they should manage them throughout the buying process.
- Fraud How to avoid fraud and what to do if you suspect it.
- How to manage your fixed assets Keeping a fixed asset register