Apply for PhD bursaries related to nuclear decommissioning
NDA annually seeks applications for PhD research proposals related to nuclear decommissioning.
Up to £500,000 is annually available via the bursary scheme.
Applications are now closed, but we will be looking for proposals again in 2017 that support the NDA mission to deliver safe, sustainable and publicly acceptable solutions to the challenge of decommissioning and clean-up of the UK’s civil nuclear legacy.
Applications for the annual bursary scheme are invited from:
- UK academic institutions for PhD projects
- sub-contractors, including Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (SMEs) seeking ‘top-up’ funding for CASE awards and EngDocs
The relevant themes are:
- waste packaging and storage
- land quality
- spent fuel and nuclear material
- open criteria and collaboration with US research organisations
Eligibility will cover PhD projects involving universities or sub-contractors where the bursary is used as a grant top-up to access national facilities for research involving the handling of radioactive materials.
How to apply
Submissions closed on Friday 21 October 2016.
The next opportunity to submit a proposal will open in September 2017.
For notifications related to the next bursary call, sign up to our e-bulletin
Published: 17 September 2015
Updated: 25 October 2016
- Submissions closed. Text to amended to reflect this.
- This bursary scheme is now open for applications.
- Changed to reflect that awards will reopen later in 2016.
- First published.