NDA is seeking applications for PhD research proposals related to nuclear decommissioning. Applications are open until 9 October 2017.
Up to £500,000 is annually available via the bursary scheme.
We are looking for proposals that support the NDA mission to deliver safe, sustainable and publicly acceptable solutions to the challenge of decommissioning and clean-up of the UK’s civil nuclear legacy.
Only project proposals with a total cost to NDA of less than £100,000 will be considered (excluding cost of any collaboration with US research organisations).
Applications for the annual bursary scheme are invited from:
- UK academic institutions for PhD projects
- sub-contractors, including Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (SMEs) seeking ‘top-up’ funding for CASE awards and EngDocs
The relevant themes are:
- waste packaging and storage
- land quality
- spent fuel and nuclear material
- open criteria (including robotics and aqueous effluents)
Eligibility will cover PhD projects involving universities or sub-contractors where the bursary is used as a grant top-up to access national facilities for research involving the handling of radioactive materials.
How to apply
Submissions will close at 15:00 on Monday 9 October 2017.