We develop the important and longstanding relationship between the UK and Singapore. We provide consular services to British nationals, answering over 11,000 enquiries yearly.

We encourage Singapore to look to the UK as a global partner of choice in trade, investment, science and research, and we help Singapore on low-carbon economic development. Every year, we help about 100 UK companies gain a foothold in Singapore. We also work with Singapore to protect the national security of both countries, including through holding joint military exercises under the Five Power Defence Arrangements.

Our services

Book an appointment

Please note that you need to book an appointment to visit the Consular section (at least 1 hour in advance).

HOURS: Monday to Friday 9:00 am to 11:00 am.

If the service you require is not listed on our appointment list, please phone (65) 6424 4200 to find out if the service is offered at the British High Commission in Singapore.

Out-of-hours emergency assistance

British nationals who need emergency assistance outside normal office hours should call (65) 6424 4200 where they will be given details on how to proceed and how to contact a duty officer if needed.

Emergency Travel Document (ETD)

An Emergency Travel Document enables British nationals abroad to travel if their passport has less than six months validity, visa pages full, has been lost/stolen, or is unavailable because it is being renewed with Her Majesty’s Passport Office. The Emergency Travel Document is issued for a single or return journey to the UK or another country of residence, via a maximum of five transit countries. The document will only be valid for the journey itinerary and date that is specified in your application. This will be shown on the document. If you change your travel itinerary, you will need to apply for a new ETD.

The Emergency Travel Document doesn’t guarantee entry to every country. Some countries may also require you to have a visa if travelling on an Emergency Travel Document. Check with the embassy or consulate of the country or countries you’re intending to travel to or through. The British High Commission is unable to advise whether a visa is required for your journey. Entry requirements can be found here.

Your existing passport will be cancelled when an Emergency Travel Document application is lodged. You should first try to renew or replace your passport and only apply for an Emergency Travel Document if you need to travel before you can get a replacement passport.

How to apply

You need to apply in person. A child under 16 years old, must be seen in person and be accompanied by at least one parent or both.

You must bring with you:

  • A completed emergency travel document application form
  • A recent photograph of yourself (photo taken on a white background)
  • Proof of your travel plans - e.g. booking confirmation
  • Proof of residency in your final destination, i.e. Work/Dependent/Student/PR card or current utility bill
  • A police report if your passport has been lost/stolen
  • DHL/Courier airway bill; proof of posting of your passport/documents to HMPO

For children under 16 years old, additional documents are required:

  • Child must be present in person with at least one parent or both
  • Both parents’ passports (original)
  • Written consent from both parents
  • If child is travelling on a school trip, letter from school
  • A copy of the accompanying teacher’s passport
  • You will have to pay a fee in local currency, equivalent to £95 in Singapore dollars
  • Payment can either be made by cash or master/visa card

Please book an appointment with the Consular section. This appointment is not for UK visas.

If you are travelling within 48 hours, please call (65) 6424 4200 and select Option 2 for Consular Services.


Information on how to apply for your first passport, renew an existing passport that is full or expiring, or replace your passport if it is lost or stolen. Please note that our consulates cannot deal with individual enquiries about passport applications.

Notarial and documentary services

Information about official documents, certificates, and notes available at the British High Commission in Singapore.


Information on legal documents required for couples marrying or entering into civil partnerships abroad.

Living in Singapore

We also produce a guide for British nationals who live in Singapore who need information about services that are not provided by the High Commission. You may find it useful in specific circumstances.

Legalisation Service

Use the legalisation service to get official confirmation that your UK public documentation is genuine so it can be accepted by foreign authorities. The UK does not require any documents to be legalised for use within the UK.

Please Note: Staff in Commonwealth countries do not have notarial powers and cannot certify any documents (including passports and UK educational certificates), administer affidavits, witness signatures or declarations. Only a document originating in Singapore and endorsed by the Singapore Ministry of Foreign Affairs can be legalised at the consular section. To legalise documents originating in the UK, click here. This service is not available at the British High Commission in Singapore.

Book an appointment for legalising a document with the Consular section.

List of lawyers

This list of English-speaking lawyers has been prepared by the British High Commission Singapore for the convenience of British nationals who require legal advice in Singapore. While every care has been taken in the preparation of this list, neither Her Majesty’s Government nor any officer of the British High Commission can act as a guarantor of the competence or probity of any particular lawyer, nor take any responsibility in regard to the consequences of accepting legal advice or initiating legal action.

Prisoner pack

An explanation of the legal and prison system in Singapore to British nationals.

Travel advice for Singapore

Information on staying safe and avoiding problems when living or travelling abroad, with links to our Embassies, High Commissions and other diplomatic posts across the world.

How we can help

We offer help which is appropriate to the individual circumstances of each case, including:

  • Issuing replacement travel documents.
  • Providing information about transferring funds.
  • Providing appropriate help if you have suffered rape or serious sexual or physical assault, are a victim of other crimes, are ill or in hospital.
  • Providing details of local lawyers, interpreters, doctors and funeral directors.
  • Doing all we properly can to contact you within 24 hours of being told that you have been detained.
  • Offering support and help in a range of other cases, such as child abductions, death of relatives.
  • Contacting family or friends for you if you want.
  • Making special arrangements in cases of terrorism, civil unrest or natural disasters.

UK law says we have to charge for some services. Details of our current fees and the standards of service you can expect to receive are on display in all our consular offices

What we cannot do for you

Although we try to help British nationals in a wide range of situations, we cannot:

  • Help you enter a country, for example, if you do not have a visa or your passport is not valid.
  • Ensure your safety and security in another country.
  • Give you legal advice, although we can give you details of people who may be able to help you in these cases, such as English-speaking lawyers.
  • Carry out searches for missing people.
  • Investigate crimes, get you out of prison, prevent the local authorities from deporting you after your prison sentence, or interfere in criminal or civil court proceedings.
  • Get you better treatment in prison than local prisoners (although we may raise concerns with local authorities if treatment falls below internationally recognised standards) or get you better treatment in hospital than the treatment that is given to local people.
  • Pay any bills or give you money from public funds.
  • Make travel arrangements for you, or find you work or accommodation, or make business arrangements on your behalf.
  • Get involved in private disputes over property, employment, commercial or other matters.

Visas - for non-British nationals

For information about whether you require a visa to the United Kingdom and how to apply go to UK visas and immigration. Should you need to ask a question about UK visas or your visa application you will find telephone, email and webchat contact details here. Staff at the High Commission and visa application centre cannot help with any visa enquiries.

Chevening Scholarships - for non-British nationals

Chevening Scholarships are the UK government’s global scholarships programme. Established in 1983, these scholarships support study at UK universities – mostly one-year Masters’ degrees – for students with the demonstrable potential to become future leaders, decision-makers and opinion formers across a wide range of fields, including politics, business, the media, civil society, religion and academia.

Our people

Scott Wightman

Scott Wightman

British High Commissioner to Singapore

Contact us

British High Commission Singapore

100 Tanglin Road
Singapore 247919

Opening hours (except Office & Public Holidays): all Local times

Monday to Friday - 9:00 am to 11:00 am

Monday to Friday - 8:30 am to 5:00 pm

Access and opening times