Vacancy Notice – Political Attaché (Justice and Home Affairs)
This was published under the 2010 to 2015 Conservative and Liberal Democrat coalition government
Full-time political attaché, initially on a 1-year contract, starting on 1 September 2013.
The British Embassy in Stockholm is looking for a full-time political attaché, initially on a 1-year contract, starting on 1 September 2013.
This is a varied and interesting job focusing on policy analysis, political reporting and promoting the UK’s policy dialogue with Sweden - primarily on Justice and Home Affairs and Counter terrorism issues. The role will cover:
- Justice and Home Affairs: Sweden’s Justice System and legislation (including migration and integration) and Sweden and the UK’s positions on EU JHA dossiers.
- Counter-Terrorism and Violent Extremism: International and Domestic developments, including threat picture awareness and legislative and policy approaches.
The work entails research, reporting and analysis of the Swedish position on these issues; building and maintaining a network of contacts across government and civil society, and engaging with them to gather information continue to build links between Sweden and the UK. The job also includes organising events and ministerial and official visits from the UK. Some travel for work/training purposes may be relevant.
The successful applicant will work in the Embassy’s Political and Economic Section and will also work closely with colleagues in government departments in London (mainly within the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and the Home Office).
Experience and Skills Required
- A minimum of three years tried and tested work experience, with an international dimension and within a diverse cultural environment
- Fluency in written and spoken English (Swedish language skills desirable, but not necessary)
- Excellent communication skills, as well as good influencing and public presentation skills
- Demonstrable knowledge of the Swedish political system and society
- A good awareness of the EU structure and UK politics
- Ideally a well-developed network of contacts in the Swedish administrative and legislative system
- Excellent organisational skills and an ability to prioritise tasks and work to deadlines
- Ability to work independently and to take initiatives as well as being a constructive team player
- Customer-focused approach and positive attitude
- Previous experience of similar work is desirable
- University degree
Terms and Conditions
This is a sabbatical leave cover, starting as soon as possible and running for ca 12 months. The position is subject to a 3-month probationary period. Normal working hours are 09:00-17:00 including a one hour lunch break. Any extra hours are compensated by time off in lieu. The annual leave entitlement is 27 days.
Please note that this job is subject to the successful incumbent receiving the appropriate level of security clearance.
How to apply
The closing date for applications is Friday 9 August.
It is intended that interviews will take place in the week beginning Monday 19 August. Please note that ONLY those applicants short-listed for interview will be contacted. We are unable to meet travel or accommodation costs for interview candidates.
Please send a covering letter and a concise CV, in English to: email@example.com
Subject line: Vacancy Political Attaché - Your name.
About the Embassy
The Embassy is responsible for developing and maintaining relations between Britain and Sweden. Our Political and Economic Section works to promote political links between the UK and Sweden bilaterally and as EU partners.
The British Embassy is an equal opportunities employer and does not discriminate on the grounds of ethnic origin, race, religious beliefs, age, disability, gender or sexual orientation.