UK High Commission & EU invite human rights award nominations
This was published under the 2010 to 2015 Conservative and Liberal Democrat coalition government
EU HRD Uganda Award ‘15 recognises outstanding contributions to human rights
The British High Commission in Kampala, together with the Embassies of other European Union (EU) member states, is inviting nominations for the 2015 EU Human Rights Defender (EU HRD) Award. The EU HRD Award is awarded annually by the diplomatic missions of EU members states in Uganda, to raise awareness of the work of Human Rights Defenders. The award recognises and honours the achievements of an individual Human Rights Defender active in Uganda, who made an outstanding contribution to the promotion and protection of human rights during 2014.
Individuals or organisations can nominate candidates for the EU HRD Award. Nominations from human rights organisations active in Uganda are particularly welcome. Human Rights Defenders are people who promote and protect universally recognised human rights and fundamental freedoms. These include civil and political rights, as well as economic, social and cultural rights. Human Rights Defenders also promote and protect the rights of members of minority groups. The broad range of activities carried out by HRDs can include the following:
- documenting human rights violations;
- seeking remedies for victims of human rights violations through the provision of legal, psychological, medical or other support;
- combating the culture of impunity which can hide systematic and repeated breaches of human rights and fundamental freedoms;
- mainstreaming a human rights culture, and transmitting information about HRDs at the national, regional and international levels;
- advocacy for the respect of human rights.
Nominations should be sent by e-mail, to: email@example.com
Nominations should be a maximum of one page in length, and should use the following nomination form (MS Word Document, 49KB)
The deadline for nominations for the 2015 EU HRD Awards is 5 April 2015.
The winner will be announced on 7 May 2015 at a ceremony hosted by the Belgian Embassy in Uganda.