European Embassies throughout Washington DC will open their doors for the EU’s Annual Open House Day on 10 May.
For the 7th year, the British Embassy in Washington will take part in this special day-long event, which celebrates the remarkable work that other EU country embassies are doing in Washington and provides a wonderful way to experience what makes each EU country unique. Starting at 10:00 am, the British embassy will host an interactive and family-friendly bazaar celebrating UK culture, creativity, business and innovation. With the theme GREAT Britain: You’re Invited, the embassy will showcase why the UK is a fantastic destination for travel, study, and do business, while illustrating the unparalleled partnership we share with the United States.
- A photo booth where visitors can photograph themselves with iconic landmarks and images.
- A Selfie Booth to take part in the Picture Yourself in the EU photo competition.
- The Ambassador’s Residence and symmetrical Gardens, including the rose garden and lawns, home to several trees planted by members of the Royal Family.
- On the 50th anniversary of the Beatles invasion of America and other classic film Mary Poppins, celebrate the best of British music, film and television.
- Performances from the British Army’s 1st Battalion Scots Guards Pipes and Drums, the oldest infantry battalion in the British Army.
- Demonstrations from the UK’s defence industry showcasing the latest equipment and technology.
- A fleet of luxury British vehicles.
- Traditional food from Union Jack’s Pub.
- Performances from Shakespearian players and the singing of ‘God Save the Queen’ performed by the British School children’s choir.
- A showcase of British business sponsoring the Embassy EU Day.
Connect with us on social media:
Tweet, Instagram and share your day with others using #UKopenhouse and tag your selfies with #EUselfie.
Picture Yourself in the EU photo competition
The EU Delegation is sponsoring a 2014 EU Open House Selfie Competition. Snap the best selfie during the EU Embassies’ Open House, and you could be featured on the EU Delegation’s social media accounts and win an ultimate swag bag full of European Embassy gift s and giveaways!
How does it work?
Step 1: Take a photo of yourself in front of an iconic background at any of the participating EU Embassies and/or the EU Delegation. Friends and family are welcome!
Step 2: Upload your selfie to Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook, and tag it with #EUselfie and the name of the relevant country – or the EU Delegation – represented in the photo.
How do I win?
The EU delegation is looking for two winners: * The person who snaps selfies at the largest number of EU Embassies * The most creative selfie
Winners will be notified by the EU Delegation via social media in the week following the Open House.