Walking and cycling statistics, England: 2019
Walking and cycling statistics in England for 2019, including the proportion of adults participating at a local authority level.
Statistics on walking and cycling statistics in England for 2019. This statistical release is based on 2 main sources:
- National Travel Survey
- Active Lives Survey
Results from the National Travel Survey in 2019 show that:
- people made an average of 332 walking stages and walked an average of 205 miles
- people on average have walked less than the previous year, after increasing in recent years.
- people made an average of 17 cycling trips and cycled an average of 54 miles
- people cycled 41% further compared to 2002
Results from the Active Lives Survey in the year ending mid-November 2019 show that:
- 71% of adults in England reported walking at least once a week
- nearly all (98%) local authorities had at least 60% of their adult population walking at least once a week
- 11% of adults in England reported cycling at least once a week
- in most local authorities (96%) less than 20% the adult population reported cycling at least once a week
Published 5 August 2020