Beta This is a test version of the layout of this page. Take the survey to help us improve it
Vocational and other qualifications quarterly: Jul to Sep 2016
This bulletin covers all vocational and other types of qualifications (excluding GCSEs, AS and A levels, and the Diploma and its components) in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
- Nearly 3.3 million certificates were awarded in 2016 Q3, a decrease of 13% on the same quarter of 2015. This is the lowest number of certificates awarded during quarter 3 in the past five years.
- The decline in number of certificates awarded is mostly due to the decrease in the number of other general qualifications and QCF qualifications.
- The number of available qualifications this quarter decreased by 1% from 31,600 in the previous quarter to 31,211.
- The qualification with the most certificates this quarter was Cambridge International Level 1/Level 2 Certificate in First Language English with 196,100 certificates awarded.
- The number of certificates issued for level 1 and level 2 qualifications both decreased by 17% on the same quarter in 2015 (to 590,600 and 924,050 respectively). The decline is mostly due to the decrease in the number of functional skills and QCF qualifications.
- The number of certificates issued for level 3 qualifications increased by 2% (from 687,100 to 699,700).
- The highest number of certificates awarded by sector subject area of qualification in this quarter was for ‘preparation for life and work’ (867,200 certificates).
We are running a series of surveys to find out how we can improve our statistical publications. We would like to hear your views on this publication.
Our survey takes only a few minutes to complete.
The datasets used to produce this release are available for England, Wales and Northern Ireland and for each individual country.