This bulletin covers all vocational and other types of qualifications (excluding GCSEs, GCEs and the Diploma and its components) in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
- Just under 1.3 million certificates were awarded, a decrease of 5% on the same quarter of 2015 and the lowest number of certificates awarded during quarter 1 since 2011.
- The number of available qualifications this quarter decreased by 1% from 21,924 in the previous quarter to 21,676.
- The qualification with the most certificates this quarter was Cambridge International Level 1/ Level 2 certificate in First Language English with 37,700 certificates awarded.
- The number of certificates issued for Level 1 qualifications decreased by 8% (from 325,500 to 299,750) and Level 2 qualifications decreased by 9% (from 629,000 to 571,100) on the same quarter in 2015; the number of certificates issued for Level 3 qualifications increased by 2% (from 187,400 to 191,300).
- The number of certificates awarded for qualifications at Level 4 and above has decreased by 2% on the same quarter in 2015 (from 26,250 to 25,600); the decrease was mainly in qualifications in the sector of Education and training.
- The highest number of certificates awarded by Sector Subject Area of qualification in this quarter was for Preparation for Life and Work (374,500 certificates).
We are running a series of surveys to find out how we can improve our statistical publications. We would like to hear your views on this publications.
Our survey takes only a few minutes to complete.
The datasets used to produce this release are available for England, Wales and Northern Ireland and for each individual country.