Statistics on licensed motor vehicles in Great Britain, derived from data held by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA).
Information on motor vehicles in Great Britain that were licensed on the 30 September 2012 (the end of quarter 3), or which were registered for the first time during quarter 3 (July to September 2012).
The statistics are derived from data held by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA), which administers vehicle registration and licensing records in Great Britain.
During July to September 2012:
- 34.7 million vehicles were licensed for use on the roads in Great Britain, up 0.7% on the year before. Of these vehicles, 28.8 million were cars
- the numbers of licensed Heavy Goods Vehicles and buses and coaches have decreased since the economic downturn began in 2008 to 2009, and the rate of increase in other types of vehicles has slowed.
- 681,300 vehicles were registered for the first time in Great Britain, up 6.4% on the same quarter of the previous year
- 987 new ultra-low emission vehicles were registered for the first time in the UK
- average CO2 emissions from new cars fell from 133.2 g/km in April to June 2012 to 131.9 g/km
Information on Vehicle licensing statistics, including the pre-release access list is available.
Vehicles statistics enquiries
Public enquiries 020 7944 3077