Statistics on licensed motor vehicles in Great Britain for July to September 2013.
Information on motor vehicles in Great Britain that were licensed on 30 September 2013, or which were registered for the first time during July to September 2013.
The statistics are derived from data held by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA), which administers vehicle registration and licensing records in Great Britain.
During July to September 2013
- there were 35.2 million vehicles licensed for use on the roads in Great Britain on 30 September 2013. Of these vehicles, 29.2 million were cars
- the total number of licensed vehicles has increased over the long term, but the rate of increase slowed down somewhat in the mid-2000s, and slowed further at the onset of the recession in 2008 to 2009. The year-on-year increase in the latest quarter is the largest since 2007
- 751,000 vehicles were registered for the first time in Great Britain, up 10.2% on the same quarter of the previous year
- a total of 1,210 new ultra-low emission vehicles were registered for the first time (in the UK)
- average CO2 emissions from new cars fell from 128.8 g/km for cars registered between April and June 2013 to 127.6 g/km for cars registered between July and September
Public enquiries 020 7944 3077