Vehicle licensing statistics: 2015
- Department for Transport
- Part of:
- Vehicles statistics, Road network and traffic, Light Goods Vehicles (VEH04), Heavy Goods Vehicles (VEH05), Buses and coaches (VEH06), Motorcycles (VEH03), Cars (VEH02), and All vehicles (VEH01)
- First published:
- 14 April 2016
- Last updated:
- 3 November 2016, see all updates
Statistics relating to licensed vehicles and new vehicle registrations for 2015.
PDF, 650KB, 14 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
Information on motor vehicles that were licensed on 31 December 2015, or which were registered for the first time during October to December 2015.
The statistics are derived from data held by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA), which administers vehicle registration and licensing records in the United Kingdom (Great Britain prior to July 2014).
- 3.21 million vehicles were registered for the first time in Great Britain
- a total of 29,963 new ultra-low emission vehicles were registered for the first time in the UK representing 0.9% of all new registrations, compared with 0.5% the previous year
At the end of December 2015, there were:
- 36.5 million vehicles licensed for use on the roads in Great Britain
- the average car licensed for use on the road was 8 years old
- 21% were less than 3 years old
- 14% were more than 13 years old
Since the end of 2012, the number of licensed vehicles has increased by an average of 650,000 a year.
Public enquiries 020 7944 3077
Published: 14 April 2016
Updated: 3 November 2016
- Updated Table 0209 added to zip file.
- First published.