This statistical release presents information on taxis and private hire vehicles (PHVs) in England and Wales as at 31 March 2011 and includes information relating to the number of licensed vehicles, drivers and (for PHVs only) operators.
- There were 78,000 licensed taxis in England and Wales as at 31 March 2011. Of these 73,000 were in England, an increase of 3% from 2009, the last time that this information was collected.
- In 2011, in England, 44,300 licensed taxis were wheelchair accessible - 61% of the total.
- There were 155,100 licensed Private Hire Vehicles (PHVs) in England and Wales as at 31 March 2011. 150,900 of these were in England, an increase of 3% compared with 2009.
- 31% of licensed taxis and 34% of licensed PHVs in England were in London.
- Overall, there were 299,200 licensed taxi or PHV drivers in England and Wales, with 287,300 of these in England (an increase of 5% compared with 2009).
Information on taxi and private hire statistics, including the pre-release access list and related technical documentation.