Information about the proportion of drivers observed using a hand-held mobile phone and the proportion of drivers and passengers wearing seatbelts whilst driving in Great Britain from a roadside observation survey commissioned jointly between Transport Scotland and Department for Transport.
In Great Britain in 2017, 1.1% of drivers were observed using a hand-held mobile phone whilst driving on weekdays, of which:
- 0.4% were observed holding the phone to their ear
- 0.8% holding the phone in their hand
- 96.5% of drivers were observed using a seatbelt on weekdays
- 93.1% of front seat passengers were observed using a seatbelt
- 90.7% of rear seat passengers were observed using a seatbelt