Beta This is a test version of the layout of this page. Take the survey to help us improve it
Schools, pupils and their characteristics: January 2013
Information collected in the January 2013 school census, including the number of schools and pupils.
This release is based upon information collected in the January 2013 school census.
It includes information on:
- the number of schools and pupils
- tables showing the number of pupils by:
- free school meal eligibility
- first language
It also includes a range of class size information.
School types included in this publication are:
- special schools
- independent schools
- pupil referral units
- alternative provision
The main points from the latest release are:
- the overall number of pupils (headcount) in all schools in England increased slightly, but remains around 8.2 million in 2013
- there has been a continued increase in primary pupil numbers
- there has been an increase in the percentage of pupils from minority ethnic groups and pupils with a first language other than English
- the percentage of pupils eligible for and claiming free school meals in secondary schools has increased from 16.0% to 16.3% while in primary schools it has decreased from 19.3% to 19.2%
- there has been an increase in the number of lawful key stage 1 (KS1) classes in excess of 30 pupils, but a decrease in the percentage of pupils taught in large classes in key stage 2 (KS2) and the secondary phase
Statistics on cross-border flows (ie pupils leaving their local authority of residence to attend schools located outside their local authority of residence) were published as additional tables in July 2013.
Infrastructure statistics team
Robert Drake 0370 000 2288