Provisional statistics on the size and characteristics of the school workforce in state-funded schools.
Reference Id: SFR06/2011
Publication type: Statistical First Release
Publication data: Underlying Statistical data
Release date: 20 April 2011
Coverage status: Provisional
Publication status: Published
The annual school workforce census replaces several other data collections and includes a wider range of information than was previously available from the form 618g and school census information that it replaces.
The publication includes information on teacher and other school workforce numbers, broken down by contract type and characteristics including gender, age and ethnicity. It also includes information on teachers pay and allowances, teachers’ qualifications, the curriculum taught by teachers and teacher vacancies.
Tables 12 and 13 were revised on 11 May 2011. Table 12 has been revised as psychology figures had previously been omitted from the other social studies category. Table 13 has been revised to remove a small number of teachers that were not teaching pupils in year groups 11 to 13. In most cases this has generated differences of less than half a percentage point and the presented confidence intervals have not changed.
Tables 17 and 18 were added to the SFR on 20 July 2011 together with additional descriptions and notes to editors relevant to these tables. These tables cover pupil-to-teacher ratios, (PTR), and teacher sickness absence.
Revisions were made to table 2 for nursery and primary teacher numbers for the 2009 historic data provided for comparison purposes. In addition a very small change was made to the total average salary figures for men and women in academies in table 9. These changes do not affect the overall totals in these tables.
Files of data underlying this SFR at regional, local authority area and school level have been added on the 20 July. The following breakdowns are included in these files. For further information please see the metadata file that is included.
- The size of the schools’ workforce in terms of its classroom teachers, school leadership teachers, teaching assistants and non-classroom based support staff.
- The characteristics of school teachers include indicators on age, gender, ethnicity, full/part-time working, qualified teacher status.
- The characteristics of teaching assistants and non-classroom based support staff including indicators on age and ethnicity.
- The average salary of teachers in schools and proportion of teaching staff on the various pay scales.
- The proportion of teachers taking sickness absence and the number of days lost to absence.
- The number and proportion of vacancies and/or temporary filled posts.
Additional tables covering initial teacher training, teacher entrants, wastage and turnover, flows, teacher retirements and out-of-service teachers aged under 60 were added to this SFR on the 23 February 2012.