Road traffic estimates in Great Britain: 2016
- Department for Transport
- Part of:
- Road traffic statistics, Road network and traffic, Average annual daily flow and temporal traffic distributions (TRA03), Pedal cycle traffic (TRA04), Heavy goods vehicle traffic (TRA31) Strategic road network traffic (TRA41), Traffic based on a static road management status (TRA42), Traffic by local authority (TRA89), Traffic volume - miles (TRA01), Traffic volume - kilometres (TRA02), and Foreign registered vehicles in Great Britain traffic (TRA32)
- 27 April 2017
Road traffic estimates in Great Britain broken down by vehicle type, road type, region and time of the day, week and month for 2016.
PDF, 3.93MB, 36 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
Estimates of road traffic by:
- vehicle type
- road type
- geographical region
- time of the day
- day of the week
in Great Britain for the year 2016.
Motor vehicle traffic on Great Britain’s roads increased by 2.2% between 2015 and 2016 to 323.7 billion vehicle miles.
Compared to 2015:
- car traffic increased by 2.0% to reach a new all-time high
- van traffic grew by 4.7%, more quickly than any other vehicle
- lorry traffic showed little change overall, but reached a new high on motorways
- traffic on motorways and rural roads reached new highs
- traffic on urban roads also increased, but remained below the 2007 peak level
Road traffic and vehicle speed statistics
Public enquiries 020 7944 3095
Published: 27 April 2017
From: Department for Transport
Part of: Road traffic statistics Road network and traffic Average annual daily flow and temporal traffic distributions (TRA03) Pedal cycle traffic (TRA04) Heavy goods vehicle traffic (TRA31) Strategic road network traffic (TRA41) Traffic based on a static road management status (TRA42) Traffic by local authority (TRA89) Traffic volume - miles (TRA01) Traffic volume - kilometres (TRA02) Foreign registered vehicles in Great Britain traffic (TRA32)