Estimates of road traffic by:
- vehicle type
- road type
- geographical region
- time of the day
- day of the week
in Great Britain for the year 2016.
Motor vehicle traffic on Great Britain’s roads increased by 2.2% between 2015 and 2016 to 323.7 billion vehicle miles.
Compared to 2015:
- car traffic increased by 2.0% to reach a new all-time high
- van traffic grew by 4.7%, more quickly than any other vehicle
- lorry traffic showed little change overall, but reached a new high on motorways
- traffic on motorways and rural roads reached new highs
- traffic on urban roads also increased, but remained below the 2007 peak level