This publication presents information on the condition of local authority roads, motorways and trunk roads in England. These data include revisions to the 2009/10 road conditions index and highways conditions index series (Tables RDC0101 to RDC0107) to correct previous processing errors and to incorporate data previously unavailable the last time the bulletin was released.
Update 22 June 2012
Data for 2010/11 in Table RDC0120 relating to the London Borough of Haringey have been revised** following corrections supplied by the borough council. This table relates to the percentage of classified roads where maintenance should be considered, and the revision affects both “Principal” and “Non-principal” roads.
Update 31 July 2012
An error has been indentified in the published Road Condition Index statistics for classified local authority roads in England.** An initial investigation shows that this error affects data for the period 2006-07 to 2010-11 inclusive.
We apologise for this error and any inconvenience caused by it.
The following affected documents were removed from the DfT website on 31 July 2012 to allow the error to be investigated further and corrected:
- Road Conditions in England statistical releases
- Road Conditions statistical tables RDC0101 to RDC0107
The problem was identified while statisticians were investigating differences between the DfT’s Road Conditions Index and figures reported by local authorities (single data list items 130-01 and 130-02 - table RDC0120). This table is not affected by the error and continues to be available.
The Department for Transport will re-issue a set of revised data for the Road Conditions Index covering 2006-07 to 2010-11 in due course and will notify users of the planned date(s) for the release of the revised figures once available.
All other statistics on road condition and road maintenance are unaffected by this error. These consist of:
- surface condition of unclassified roads (tables RDC0130 and RDC0131)
- skidding resistance on principal roads (table RDC0140)
- surface condition and skidding resistance on highways agency managed (trunk) roads (tables RDC0201 and RDC0210)
- road maintenance expenditure (table RDC0310)
- road maintenance work carried out on local authority roads (table RDC0320)
- motor vehicle traffic flows (table RDC0301)
Information on road conditions, including the pre-release access list can be found here