In reported road traffic accidents for the year ending June 2014:
- road deaths increased by 3% compared to the year ending June 2013, to 1,760
- there were 24,580 killed or seriously injured (KSI) casualties, a 4% increase compared with the previous year
- there were 193,290 reported road casualties of all severities, 4% higher than the 185,738 for the year ending June 2013
- motor traffic levels rose by 1.7% compared with the 12 month period ending June 2013. The overall casualty rate per vehicle mile increased by 2% for the same period.
Between April and June 2014:
- there were 440 road deaths, unchanged from the same quarter in 2013
- KSIs and slightly injured casualties increased by 7% and 9% respectively.
The quarterly provisional estimates provides in-year estimates of personal injury road accidents and their casualties. These are published to allow emerging trends to be monitored between the publications of annual figures.