Reported road casualties in Great Britain, final estimates involving illegal alcohol levels: 2012
Final estimates for personal injury drink drive accidents in Great Britain in 2012.
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
The latest estimates show that:
- 230 people were killed in drink drive accidents in 2012, which was not significantly different from 2011
- jointly with 2010 and 2011, drink drive deaths in 2012 were the lowest since detailed recording began in 1979
- 1,200 people were seriously injured in drink drive accidents in 2012, a 6% fall from 2011. Slightly injured casualties rose by 1%, to 8,510
- drink drive accidents accounted for around 13% of road deaths and 6% of killed or seriously injured casualties in 2012
- drink drive deaths and serious injuries in 2012 were both around 85% down on 1979
Road safety statistics
Public enquiries 020 7944 6595