Statistics on biofuels for the obligation year 15 April 2011 to 14 April 2012 (Year 4).
It includes information on:
- the amount of UK road transport fuel from renewable and fossil fuel;
- the number of Renewable Transport Fuel Certificates (RTFCs) which have been issued;
- the balance of RTFCs by obligation period;
- trades of RTFCs between suppliers and/or traders; and,
- carbon and sustainability (C&S) characteristics of the renewable fuel,
- Supplier specific C&S data,
- Supplier performance against the obligation.
- 1.6 billion litres of renewable transport fuel were supplied, 1.9 billion RTFCs were awarded
- Following the implementation of mandatory sustainability criteria for fuel supplier on or after 15/12/11, RTFCs were issued to 95% of the renewable fuel volume supplied
- 50% of the renewable fuel to which RTFCs were issued after RED implementation was double counting material.
- Average carbon savings of 61.2% were made.
- Biodiesel made up 56.9% of renewable fuel supplied.
- Bioethanol made up 42.7% of renewable fuel supplied.
- The largest feedstock was used cooking oil with 800.4 million litres of supply (49.9% of total supply).
- The second largest feedstock was non-EC corn with 486.0 million litres of supply (30.3% of total supply).
- The United Kingdom was the second largest known country with 190.0 million litres (11.8% of total supply).
Information on Renewable Transport Fuel Obligation statistics: obligation period 4, 2011/12, report 6, including the pre-release access list and related technical documentation
Biofuels statistics enquiries
Public enquiries 020 7944 8555