Children in need census 2009 to 2010 (provisional)
Referrals to and assessments by children's social services, and children in need who were the subject of a child protection plan.
Reference Id: OSR24/2010
Publication Type: Statistical Release
Publication data: Underlying Statistical data
Local Authority data: LA data
Release Date: 30 September 2010
Coverage status: Provisional
Publication Status: Published
This information is being published for the first time from the Children in Need (CIN) census. Similar information has been published in previous years based upon data collected through the Child Protection and Referrals 3 (CPR3) return. However, this collection has been discontinued.
The key points from this release are:
Referrals and Assessments
- There were 607,500 referrals to children’s social care services in the year ending 31 March 2010
- There were 390,600 initial assessments completed in the year ending 31 March 2010. 262,200 (67.1%) of which were completed within 7 working days.
Children in need
- There were 382,300 children in need at 31 March 2010, which was a rate of 339.0 per 10,000 children
- There were a total of 697,900 episodes of need throughout the year.
Children who were the subject of a child protection plan
- At 31 March 2010, there were 35,700 children who were the subject of a child protection plan
- In the year ending 31 March 2010, 44,500 children became the subject of a child protection plan and 38,000 children ceased to be the subject of a plan.
As part of a government drive for data transparency in official publications we have included supporting data for this publication as an additional table below. The underlying data for this publication was made available on 14 October 2010.