Referrals to and assessments by children's social services, and children in need who were the subject of a child protection plan.
Reference Id: OSR18/2011
Publication Type: Statistical Release
Publication data: Local Authority data
Local Authority data: LA data
Release Date: 28 September 2011
Coverage status: Provisional
Publication Status: Published
This publication contains figures at national and local authority level on the numbers of referrals, assessments and children and young people who were the subject of a child protection plan, and the numbers of children in need. This information is being published for the second time from the children in need (CIN) census.
The latest statistics are for the year ending 31 March 2011 and update those previously released on 30 November 2010.
The information included in this publication is sourced from the children in need census.
The key points from this release are:
Referrals and Assessments
- There were 612,600 referrals to children’s social care services in the year ending 31 March 2011.
- There were 440,800 initial assessments completed in the year ending 31 March 2011. 283,400 (64.3%) were completed within 7 working days and 333,500 (75.7%) were completed within 10 working days.
Children in Need
- There were 379,300 children in need at 31 March 2011, which was a rate of 343.4 per 10,000 children.
- There were a total of 736,400 episodes of need throughout the year.
Children who were the subject of a child protection plan
- At 31 March 2011, there were 42,300 children who were the subject of a child protection plan.
- In the year ending 31 March 2011, 48,400 children became the subject of a child protection plan and 44,900 children ceased to be the subject of a plan.
As part of a government drive for data transparency in official publications we have included supporting data for this publication as below. The underlying data for this publication was made available on the day of release.