The 2015 provisional figure for annual motor vehicle traffic of 317.8 billion vehicle miles travelled is the highest rolling annual total ever and 1.1% higher than the pre-recession peak.
When comparing the year ending December 2015 with the year ending December 2014:
- car traffic increased by 1.7% to 248.6 billion vehicle miles, very slightly above the pre-recession peak
- van traffic continued to rise faster than any other vehicle type, increasing by 6.1% to a new peak of 47.7 billion vehicle miles
- heavy goods vehicle traffic rose on motorways and rural ‘A’ roads, but fell on urban ‘A roads
- all road classes experienced a rise, apart from urban ‘A’ road traffic which remained at the same level
- motorway traffic increased by 2.4% to 65.8 billion vehicle miles, the highest ever level
- minor rural road traffic increased the most of any road type, rising 5.2% to 45.8 billion vehicle miles