The latest national statistics on planning applications were released under the auspices of the UK Statistics Authority on 30 June 2010.
In the period January to March 2010 local authorities undertaking district level planning:
- received 118,400 applications, up by around 6 per cent when compared with the March 2009 quarter;
- decided (granted or refused) 95,700 applications, an increase of 3 per cent when compared with the March 2009 quarter;
- decided 12,000 applications for residential developments, down by 3 per cent compared with March 2009 quarter;
- decided 1,400 major residential developments applications (10 or more dwellings) up by 8 per cent compared with the March 2009 quarter;
- decided 71 per cent of major applications within 13 weeks;
Authorities undertaking ‘county level’ planning decided 312 applications, a decrease of 21 per cent when compared with the same quarter a year ago.
In 2009-10, local planning authorities received 466,400 district level planning applications, compared to 689,000 applications in 2004-05.
The full set of Statistics of Planning Applications Live Tables are available at Live Tables on Development Control Statistics.