Use these first release statistics to find out how many people:
- qualify for a State Pension
- have some kind of second tier pension cover
- pay various classes of National Insurance in each tax year
You can also explore the data – for example, by age, gender and method of qualification.
These statistics were previously known as ‘National Insurance Contributions and qualifying years and Second Tier Pension Provision’.
In tax year 2011/12 there were:
- 28.6 million people making National Insurance contributions
- 27.4 million people with some form of second tier pension cover
- 25.3 million people covered under the State Second Pension