Management information for probation: 1 June to 30 September 2014
Management information used to monitor probation performance since 1 June 2014.
PDF, 294KB, 29 pages
PDF, 87.4KB, 4 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
On 1 June 2014, as part of the Transforming Rehabilitation reforms to probation, responsibility for delivery of probation services moved from 35 probation trusts to 21 Community Rehabilitation Companies (CRCs) and the National Probation Service (NPS).
CRCs are responsible for managing offenders who pose a low or medium risk of serious harm. The NPS is responsible for managing offenders who pose a high risk of serious harm and those who have committed the most serious offences. The NPS also
- provides advice to the courts on issues such as sentencing
- determines whether offenders should be allocated to a CRC or to the NPS
- deals with enforcement action for offenders who are alleged to have breached a court order
This ad-hoc management information release presents the management information used by the Planning and Analysis Group (PAG) within the National Offender Management Service (NOMS) to monitor probation performance since CRCs and the NPS became responsible for delivery of probation services on 1 June 2014.
The measures in this report include management information against which the performance of probation trusts was monitored before 1 June. They also include 2 new measures that reflect processes which were only introduced on 1 June:
- carrying out a risk of serious recidivism (RSR) assessment
- allocating cases to a CRC or to the NPS
These data are presented at national level to examine performance across the probation system, with distinctions made between the NPS and CRCs where appropriate. Comparisons to historic information have also been made where appropriate.
Published: 17 November 2014
Updated: 4 December 2014
- Errata note published to advise that the commentary and figures within the 'Management information for probation: 1 June to 30 September' release have been amended. The other parts of the release are unaffected.
- First published.