House building in England: July to September 2012
- Department for Communities and Local Government
- Part of:
- House building: new build dwellings statistics, House building, and Live tables on house building: new build dwellings
- 15 November 2012
- Last updated:
- 30 November 2012, see all updates
House building starts and completions statistics by tenure.
Ref: ISBN 9781409836988 PDF, 335KB, 21 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
The latest national statistics on house building in England were released on 15 November 2012.
Statistics in this release present figures on new-build housing starts and completions in England. Figures for the UK and constituent countries are also available in the accompanying tables.
The latest statistics report on the period July to September 2012 and update those previously released on 16 August 2012.
The main points from this release are:
- seasonally adjusted house building starts in England increased by 18% and stood at 25,760 in the September quarter 2012
- seasonally adjusted completions fell, down 7% to 27,060 in the September quarter 2012
- private enterprise housing starts (seasonally adjusted) were 15% higher in the September quarter 2012 than the previous quarter, while starts by housing associations were 23% higher
- seasonally adjusted private enterprise completions fell by 6% and housing association completions fell by 14% from the previous quarter
- seasonally adjusted starts are now 52% above the trough in the March quarter 2009 but 45% below the December quarter 2005 peak; completions are 44% below their March quarter 2007 peak
- annual housing starts totalled 98,020 in the 12 months to September 2012, down 9% compared with the year before; annual housing completions in England reached 117,190 in the 12 months to September 2012, an increase of 6% compared with the previous 12 months
Published: 15 November 2012
Updated: 30 November 2012
- A correction was made to page 3: "This was down from 29,180 in the previous quarter, a fall of 7 per cent."
- First published.