House building starts and completions statistics by tenure.
The latest national statistics on house building in England were released on 15 August 2013.
Statistics in this release present figures on new build housing starts and completions in England. Figures for the UK and constituent countries are also available in the accompanying tables.
The latest statistics report on the period April to June 2013 and update those previously released on 16 May 2013.
Key points from the latest release are:
- seasonally adjusted house building starts in England are estimated at 29,510 in the June quarter 2013, 6% higher than the previous quarter
- completions (seasonally adjusted) are estimated at 27,270 in the June quarter 2013, 9% higher than the previous quarter
- private enterprise housing starts (seasonally adjusted) were 7% higher in the June quarter 2013 than the previous quarter, while starts by housing associations were 3% lower
- seasonally adjusted private enterprise completions increased by 11% and housing association completions increased by 3% from the previous quarter
- seasonally adjusted starts are now 73% above the trough in the March quarter 2009 but 40% below the March quarter 2007 peak; completions are 44% below their March quarter 2007 peak
- annual housing starts totalled 110,530 in the 12 months to June 2013, up by 7% compared with the year before; annual housing completions in England totalled 106,820 in the 12 months to June 2013, 9% lower compared to the previous 12 months