Official Statistics

Homelessness prevention and relief: England 2013 to 2014

Official statistics on homelessness prevention and relief in England that took place outside the homelessness statutory framework.

Document

Homelessness prevention and relief: England 2013 to 2014

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.

If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email alternativeformats@communities.gsi.gov.uk. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Details

This is an official statistics release on homelessness prevention and relief in England that took place outside the homelessness statutory framework in 2013 to 2014. This is the sixth year for which figures on homelessness prevention and relief have been published by the Department for Communities and Local Government under arrangements approved by the UK Statistics Authority.

The main points from the latest release are:

  • in 2013 to 2014, a total of 227,800 cases of homelessness prevention or relief are estimated to have taken place outside the statutory homelessness framework in England; of these cases, 209,300 (92%) were preventions and 18,500 (8%) were cases of relief
  • in 2013 to 2014, 51% of cases of homelessness prevention and relief involved the household being assisted to obtain alternative accommodation; the remaining 49% involved the cases being assisted to remain in their existing home; in 2012 to 2013 this was 53% and 47% respectively
  • the total number of cases of homelessness prevention or relief increased by 12% when compared to 2012 to 2013; this overall change includes an increase in the number of preventions from 181,900 to 209,300 (increase of 15%) and a decrease in the number of cases of relief from 21,000 to 18,500 (12%)
  • of those cases who were assisted to remain in their own homes, the 2 most common prevention actions were:
    • assistance to resolve problems with housing benefit (24,400 cases, or 22%)
    • assistance including actions such as resolving anti-social behaviour, tackling disrepair through action against landlords or grants to improve conditions, or adaptations to the property (19,800 cases, or 18%)
  • of those cases who were assisted to find alternative accommodation, the most common prevention and relief actions were:
    • in prevention 22,500 cases (23%) were offered private rented sector accommodation with a landlord incentive scheme; a further 22,300 cases (23%) were made a Part 6 offer of local authority accommodation or nominated to a Private Registered Provider
Published 24 July 2014