Homelessness prevention and relief: England 2012 to 2013
Official statistics on homelessness prevention and relief in England that took place outside the homelessness statutory framework.
Ref: ISBN 9781409839934 PDF, 600KB, 24 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
This is an official statistics release on homelessness prevention and relief in England that took place outside the homelessness statutory framework in 2012 to 2013. This is the fifth year for which figures on homelessness prevention and relief have been published by the Department for Communities and Local Government under arrangements approved by the UK Statistics Authority.
The main points from the latest release are:
- in 2012 to 2013, a total of 202,400 cases of homelessness prevention or relief are estimated to have taken place outside the statutory homelessness framework in England; of these cases, 181,500 (90%) were preventions and 21,000 (10%) were cases of relief
- in 2012 to 2013, 53% of cases of homelessness prevention and relief involved the household being assisted to obtain alternative accommodation; the remaining 47% involved the cases being assisted to remain in their existing home; in 2011 to 2012 this was 57% and 43% respectively
- the total number of cases of homelessness prevention or relief increased by 2% when compared to 2011 to 2012; this is due to prevention cases increasing by 4%, while cases of relief decreased by 13%
- the most common action taken to prevent or relieve homelessness was the use of landlord incentive schemes to secure private rented sector accommodation; in 2012 to 2013, 26,200 cases (13%) were assisted in obtaining alternative accommodation this way, though this was a decrease of 5% compared to 2011 to 2012