Official Statistics

Homelessness prevention and relief: England 2009 to 2010

Official statistics on homelessness prevention and relief in England that took place outside the homelessness statutory framework.

Documents

Homelessness prevention and relief: England 2009 to 2010

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.

If you use assistive technology (eg a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email alternativeformats@communities.gsi.gov.uk. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Homelessness prevention and relief: England 2009 to 2010: supplementary tables 1 to 6

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.

If you use assistive technology (eg a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email alternativeformats@communities.gsi.gov.uk. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Pre-release access list: homelessness prevention and relief: England 2009 to 2010

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.

If you use assistive technology (eg a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email alternativeformats@communities.gsi.gov.uk. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Detail

This is an official statistics release on homelessness prevention and relief in England that took place outside the homelessness statutory framework in 2009 to 2010. This is the second year that figures on homelessness prevention and relief have been published by the Department for Communities and Local Government under arrangements approved by the UK Statistics Authority.

For the first time, estimates have been made for missing local authority data and thus the figures in this release have been grossed up to be nationally representative of all local authorities in England.

The main points from this release are:

  • in 2009 to 2010, a total of 165,200 cases of homelessness prevention or relief are estimated to have taken place outside the statutory homelessness framework in England; of these cases 140,900 (85%) were preventions and 24,300 (15%) were cases of relief
  • 61% of cases of homelessness prevention and relief involved the household being assisted to obtain alternative accommodation; the remaining 39% involved the cases being assisted to remain in their existing home
  • the most common action taken by authorities and partner organisations to assist households in obtaining alternative accommodation was the use of landlord incentive schemes to secure private rented sector accommodation (36% of the cases assisted in obtaining alternative accommodation)
  • the most common action taken to enable households to remain in their own home was assistance to remain in the private or social rented sector, which comprised 21% of the cases who remained in their own home
  • there were 5,200 homelessness prevention cases who were helped to stay in their home thanks to the protection of a sanctuary scheme
  • homelessness prevention and relief activity varies across the regions: London had the highest rate of cases of preventions and relief with 10.3 cases per 1,000 households; the West Midlands had the lowest rate of 4.9