Official Statistics

Homelessness prevention and relief: England 2008 to 2009

Statistics on homelessness prevention and relief in England that took place outside the homelessness statutory framework.

Documents

Homelessness prevention and relief: England 2008 to 2009 - experimental statistics

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.

If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email alternativeformats@communities.gsi.gov.uk. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Details

These experimental official statistics were released on 26 November 2009, under arrangements approved by the UK Statistics Authority.

The key points from the latest release are:

  • in 2008 to 2009, local housing authorities reported a total of 130,000 cases of homelessness prevention or relief having taken place outside the statutory homelessness framework
  • this figure is based on full or partial data reported by an average of 93% of local authorities; estimates for missing data have not been made and some authorities were not yet able to record all activity in their area - the actual national total will be higher
  • 61% of reported cases of homelessness prevention and relief involved the household being assisted to obtain alternative accommodation; the remaining 39% involved the cases being assisted to remain in their existing home
  • the most common action taken by authorities and partner organisations to assist households in obtaining alternative accommodation was the use of landlord incentive schemes to secure private rented sector accommodation (37% of the cases assisted in obtaining alternative accommodation)
  • the most common action taken to enable households to remain in their own home was assistance to remain in the private or social rented sector (for example by resolving anti-social behaviour or tackling disrepair through action against landlords or grants to improve conditions), which comprised 17% of the cases who remained in their own home.
Published 16 August 2013