This statistics release contains the latest data on company insolvency (companies which are unable to pay debts and enter liquidation, or enter administration or other company rescue process) .
Statistics are presented separately for England and Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland because of differences in legislation and policy.
Company Insolvencies in 2019
- In 2019, underlying company insolvencies increased to their highest annual level since 2013.
- This was largely driven by an increase in underlying creditors’ voluntary liquidations which reached their highest annual level since 2009
- Administrations increased in 2019 compared to 2018 while compulsory liquidations decreased, and company voluntary arrangements were flat.
Company Insolvencies in Q4 2019
- Underlying company insolvencies decreased in Q4 2019 compared with Q3 2019.
- This was driven by decreases across all main types of company insolvency.
- Total insolvencies were higher in Q4 2019 compared with the same quarter of 2018.
- Compulsory liquidations have fallen for the fourth successive quarter.