The data is derived from the department’s annual survey of local authorities issuing Blue Badges and data from the Blue Badge Improvement Service database.
For badges on issue at 31 March 2014:
- there were an estimated 2.45 million valid Blue Badges held on 31 March 2014, a decrease of 4.5% compared with the previous year
- this was the largest annual decrease since 2011, when the declining trend started
- out of the 2014 total, 58% of badges were subject to further assessment, 41% were issued without further assessment, and 1% to organisations
- the overall decline in the total number of Blue Badges held between 2013 and 2014 was driven by a decline of 6.1% of badges held subject to further assessment
- 4.6% of the population in England held a valid Blue Badge, a decrease of 0.2 percentage points from 2013
For badges issued between 1 April 2013 and 31 March 2014:
- 874,000 Blue Badges were issued, a decrease of 2.6% from the previous year
- out of these, 41% were issued without further assessment, 58% subject to further assessment and 1% to organisations
This year, information on badges on issue were collected both through the survey of local authorities and the Blue Badge Improvement Service (BBIS), and both sources have been combined for estimation. For badges on issue in 2014, 35% of local authorities estimates are based exclusively on survey data, and 65% are partially or exclusively relying on BBIS data. In future years, the BBIS will provide complete information on badges issued and on issue, and the survey will be shortened. Response rates were of 93% for the survey and 100% for BBIS.
Further guidance and technical information on Blue Badges can be found on the disabled parking badges page.