Statistics on road fuel supplied in the UK that is made up of renewable fuel and well as information on its sustainability.
This publication presents statistics on the Renewable Transport Fuel Obligation (RTFO) including statistics on the year to 15 December 2011. It includes information on the percentage of road fuel supplied in the UK that is made up of renewable fuel and well as information on its sustainability.
Download the full release and all tables
- RTFO Year 4a report - April 2011 to December 2011 (PDF, 280 KB)
- RTFO Year 4a report - April 2011 to December 2011 XLS tables (XLS, 4061 KB)
- RTFO Year 4a report - April 2011 to December 2011 CSV tables (CSV, 65 KB)
In the 8 months of the 2011 to 2012 obligation period:
- 5.4 billion litres of biofuel have been supplied under the RTFO in the first 44 months.
- in the eight months of the 2011 to 2012 obligation period, 983 million litres of biofuel have been supplied, which is approximately 3.2% of total road transport fuel against an annual obligation percentage (“specified amount”) of 4.0%
- more biodiesel (56%) has been supplied than bioethanol (44%). A small volume of biogas has also been declared to the administrator.
- the largest proportion of biofuel came from the feedstock, used cooking oil (489m litres, 50% of total biofuel supplied). The most widely reported feedstock from a single country of origin for biodiesel was used cooking oil from the Netherlands (153m litres, 28% of biodiesel supplied). The most widely reported feedstock and country of bioethanol was non-European Community corn from the United States of America (336m litres, 77% of bioethanol supplied).
- over the period, 53% of biofuels met an environmental standard.
- the majority of feedstock has been imported; 12% of the biofuel was reported as coming from UK feedstocks.
- 93% of the fuel reported as coming from UK feedstocks met environmental sustainability standards.
Related statistical releases
The previous statistical releases can be found at:
Statistical releases on the Renewable Transport Fuels Obligation prior to April 2011 published by the Renewable Fuels Agency can be found at:
Public enquiries 020 7944 8555