This written ministerial statement was laid in the House of Commons by Mike Penning and in the House of Lords by Lord Bates.
The Minister of State for Policing and Criminal Justice (Mike Penning):
I am today publishing the statistics on police use of Taser in England and Wales for the six month period between 1 January and 30 June 2014.
These show that:
- the total number of times Taser was used by the police in this period is 5,107
- non-discharges account for 81% of the Taser use
- the most common use of Taser in this period was ‘red dot’, which accounted for 52% of overall use
- the percentage for ‘drive stun’ and ‘angle drive stun’ accounted for 3% of overall use
- the percentage for ‘fired’ accounted for 16% of overall use
Full details are available and a copy will be placed in the House Library.