The Minister of State for Policing and Criminal Justice (Mike Penning):
I am today publishing the statistics on police use of Taser in England and Wales for the six month period between 1 January and 30 June 2014.
These show that:
- the total number of times Taser was used by the police in this period is 5,107
- non-discharges account for 81% of the Taser use
- the most common use of Taser in this period was ‘red dot’, which accounted for 52% of overall use
- the percentage for ‘drive stun’ and ‘angle drive stun’ accounted for 3% of overall use
- the percentage for ‘fired’ accounted for 16% of overall use
Full details are available and a copy will be placed in the House Library.
Published 15 October 2014