© Crown copyright 2014
This publication is licensed under the terms of the Open Government Licence v3.0 except where otherwise stated. To view this licence, visit nationalarchives.gov.uk/doc/open-government-licence/version/3 or write to the Information Policy Team, The National Archives, Kew, London TW9 4DU, or email: email@example.com.
Where we have identified any third party copyright information you will need to obtain permission from the copyright holders concerned.
This publication is available at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/voluntary-and-community-sector-organisations-needs-extra-support-service/voluntary-and-community-sector-organisations-needs-extra-support-service
Voluntary and Community Sector (VCS) organisations help HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) reach customers who have additional needs by telling their clients about the HMRC Needs Extra Support service.
Working with HMRC will help your VCS organisation to support your clients by:
- giving you quicker access to services on their behalf - face to face, telephone and online advice
- telling you about products and services that will help your clients understand their entitlements and tax responsibilities
- making it easier for you and your clients to get help
Who can use the service
You can apply to use HMRC Needs Extra Support service if your VCS organisation is one of the following:
- a registered charity
- a voluntary and community organisation
- social enterprise
Your VCS organisation must also meet all of the following criteria:
- cover at least 1 of the nations of:
- Northern Ireland
- have a high proportion of clients who need extra help accessing HMRC services due to one or more of the following:
- lack confidence
- learning difficulties
- memory problems
- language skills
- mental health issues, including distress through bereavement
- be able to refer a high proportion of clients who need extra help to the service every year
- have facilities for your clients to contact you, for example, by email, telephone or face to face
You can’t apply to join the service if:
- any aspect of your organisation may be party-political in intention, use, or presentation
- to support or promote religious activity
Apply to use the service
You can apply to use the service by requesting an application form.
Most applications are dealt with within 4 weeks.