Business tax – form

VAT: registration - land and property (VAT5L)

Use form VAT5L to notify HM Revenue and Cusoms (HMRC) of the specific nature of the land and property supplies you're making.


Registration - land and property (VAT5L)

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request a different format.

If you use assistive technology and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.


Use form VAT5L to tell HMRC about the specific nature of the land and property supplies you are making, together with the VAT liability of those supplies. HMRC will then be able to verify that you are making some taxable supplies and that you’re entitled to register for VAT.

Get the right software

This form is interactive (one that you complete on screen) and you must use Adobe Reader to compete it. Downloading Adobe Reader is free. Download the latest version of Adobe Reader.

VAT Notice 742A: opting to tax land and buildings
This notice explains the effect of an option to tax and will help you to decide whether to exercise that option.

VAT1614A - notification of an option to tax land and/or build
Use form VAT1614B to cease to be a relevant associate in relation to an option to tax land and/or buildings.

VAT1614H - application for permission to opt
Use form VAT1614H to apply for permission to opt land and/or buildings for VAT purposes.