© Crown copyright 2020
This publication is licensed under the terms of the Open Government Licence v3.0 except where otherwise stated. To view this licence, visit nationalarchives.gov.uk/doc/open-government-licence/version/3 or write to the Information Policy Team, The National Archives, Kew, London TW9 4DU, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Where we have identified any third party copyright information you will need to obtain permission from the copyright holders concerned.
This publication is available at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vat-road-fuel-scale-charges-table/vat-updated-valuation-table-road-fuel-scale-charges-rfscs-effective-from-1-may-2019
The VAT road fuel scale charges are amended with effect from 1 May 2019. Businesses must use the new scales from the start of the next prescribed accounting period beginning on or after 1 May 2019.
The Valuation Table sets out the new scale charges (a VAT inclusive amount). This table must be operated in accordance with the notes to the table and these are set out below.
The VAT Rate Tables set out the VAT to be charged if you account for VAT on an annual, quarterly or monthly basis.
1. Valuation table
|Description of vehicle: vehicle’s CO2 emissions figure||VAT inclusive consideration for a 12 month prescribed accounting period (£)||VAT inclusive consideration for a 3 month prescribed accounting period (£)||VAT inclusive consideration for a 1 month prescribed accounting period (£)|
|120 or less||592||147||49|
|225 or more||2,071||517||172|
Where the CO2 emission figure is not a multiple of five, the figure is rounded down to the next multiple of five to determine the level of the charge.
For a bi-fuel vehicle which has two CO2 emissions figures, the lower of the two figures should be used.
For cars which are too old to have a CO2 emissions figure, you should identify the CO2 band based on engine size, as follows:
- If its cylinder capacity is 1,400cc or less, use CO2 band 140
- If its cylinder capacity exceeds 1,400cc but does not exceed 2,000cc, use CO2 band 175
- If its cylinder capacity exceeds 2,000cc, use CO2 band 225 or more
Please see the notes to the Valuation Table for more details.
Notes to the Valuation Table
For a car of a description in the first column of the valuation table, the value on the flat-rate basis of all supplies of road fuel made to any one individual in respect of that car for a prescribed accounting period is the amount specified under whichever of the second, third or fourth columns corresponds with the length of the prescribed accounting period.
- Where a CO2 emissions figure is specified in relation to a car in a UK approval certificate or in a certificate of conformity issued by a manufacturer in another member state corresponding to a UK approval certificate (“corresponding certificate of conformity”), the car’s CO2 emissions figure for the purposes of the valuation table is determined as follows:
- if only one figure is specified in the certificate, that figure is the car’s CO2 emissions figure for those purposes
- if more than one figure is specified in the certificate, the figure specified as the CO2 (combined) emissions figure is the car’s CO2 emissions figure for those purposes
- if separate CO2 emissions figures are specified for different fuels, the lowest figure specified, or, in a case within sub-paragraph (b), the lowest CO2 (combined) emissions figure specified is the car’s CO2 emissions figure for those purposes
For the purpose of paragraph 2, if the car’s CO2 emissions figure is not a multiple of 5 it is rounded down to the nearest multiple of 5 for those purposes.
- Where no UK approval certificate or corresponding certificate of conformity is issued in relation to a car, or where a certificate is issued but no emissions figure is specified in it, the car’s CO2 emissions figure for the purposes of the valuation table is:
- 140 if its cylinder capacity is 1,400 cubic centimetres or less
- 175 if its cylinder capacity exceeds 1,400 cubic centimetres but does not exceed 2,000 cubic centimetres
- 225 or more if its cylinder capacity exceeds 2,000 cubic centimetres
For the purpose of paragraph 4, the car’s cylinder capacity is the capacity of its engine as calculated for the purposes of the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994.
- In any case where:
- in a prescribed accounting period, there are supplies of fuel for private use to an individual in respect of one car for a part of the period and in respect of another car for another part of the period
- at the end of that period one of those cars neither belongs to, nor is allocated to, the individual, the flat-rate value of the supplies is determined as if the supplies made to the individual during those parts of the period were in respect of only one car
- Where paragraph 6 applies, the value of the supplies is to be determined as follows:
- if each of the 2 or more cars falls within the same description of car specified in the valuation table, the value specified in the valuation table for that description of car applies for the whole of the prescribed accounting period
- if one of those cars falls within a description of car specified in that table which is different from the others, the value of the supplies is the aggregate of the relevant fractions of the consideration appropriate for each description of car in the valuation table “The relevant fraction” in relation to any car is that which the part of the prescribed accounting period in which fuel was supplied for private use in respect of the car bears to the whole of that period.
“CO2 emissions figure” means a CO2 emissions figure expressed in grams per kilometre driven.
- “UK approval certificate” means a certificate issued under either:
- Section 58(1) or (4) of the Road Traffic Act 1988
- Article 31A(4) or (5) of the Road Traffic (Northern Ireland) Order 1981
2. VAT rate tables
|CO2 band||VAT fuel scale charge, 12 month period (£)||VAT on 12 month charge (£)||VAT exclusive 12 month charge (£)|
|120 or less||592||98.67||493.33|
|225 or more||2,071||345.17||1,725.83|
|CO2 band||VAT fuel scale charge, 3 month period (£)||VAT on 3 month charge (£)||VAT exclusive 3 month charge (£)|
|120 or less||147||24.50||122.50|
|225 or more||517||86.17||430.83|
|CO2 band||VAT fuel scale charge, 1 month period (£)||VAT on 1 month charge (£)||VAT exclusive 1 month charge (£)|
|120 or less||49||8.17||40.83|
|225 or more||172||28.67||143.33|