Claim a refund of VAT on a conversion if you're a DIY housebuilder

Use form VAT431C to claim a VAT refund on the conversion of an existing building into a dwelling if you're a DIY housebuilder.


VAT refunds for DIY housebuilders - claim form and notes for conversions (VAT431C)

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.

If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.


You can use form VAT431C to claim VAT back on building materials and services you have purchased in order to convert an existing building into a dwelling.

Email HMRC to ask for this form in Welsh (Cymraeg).

Get the right software

This form is interactive (one that you complete on screen) and you must use Adobe Reader to complete it. Downloading Adobe Reader is free. Download the latest version of Adobe Reader.

VAT refunds - on self-build new homes or non-residential conversions
If you’re a DIY builder you may be able to reclaim VAT when building a new home or converting a non-residential building into a home.

VAT431NB - refunds for DIY housebuilders claim form for new houses
Use form VAT431NB when claiming a VAT refund as a DIY housebuilder for new houses.

Published 11 June 2014
Last updated 21 December 2015 + show all updates
  1. Customers who want to make a claim under the DIY refund scheme, need to contact HMRC to get an updated address to which claim forms should be sent. This change provides details of a telephone number where they can get the address.
  2. The Local Compliance address has been amended on the form.
  3. First published.