Guidance about the use of physical restraint in schools for governing bodies, headteachers and school staff.
This is for school leaders and school staff.
It applies to:
- local-authority-maintained schools
- academies and free schools
- pupil referral units
- non-maintained special schools
- independent schools
- sixth-form colleges
This guidance provides clarification on the use of force:
- to help school staff feel more confident about using reasonable force when they feel it is necessary
- to make clear the responsibilities of school leaders and governing bodies in respect of this power