Universal Credit and your Claimant Commitment
How the Universal Credit Claimant Commitment works and what is expected of claimants in return for getting Universal Credit.
This guide explains how people who claim Universal Credit will need to accept a Claimant Commitment before they can receive their benefit payments.
It covers what the Claimant Commitment is and how it will help claimants to find work. It outlines the kinds of things that claimants will be required to do in return for receiving Universal Credit, and shows how these depend upon each claimant’s individual circumstances.
The guide also highlights what will happen if claimants fail to do what they have accepted in their Claimant Commitment.
Published: 28 March 2013
Updated: 11 April 2016
- Updated to reflect changes to Universal Credit from April 2016 (English only, Welsh to follow).
- Revised version with new information about the roll-out of Universal Credit.
- Published November 2014 edition of the leaflet.
- Updated to include the latest information about the expansion of Universal Credit
- Detail updated to provide more information about what is in the document
- First published.